font/graphics differences PC vs Mac

by Behme <behme(at)accesscable.net>

 Date:  Sat, 3 Apr 1999 08:41:40 -0400
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:59:28 -0500
>From: Chris Luciano <cluciano(at)total.net>
>Subject: MAC users needed for graphic advice!!!

First of all: Thanks for even worrying about us Mac users  :)
Honestly, since the PC majority is so overwhelming, PC based web
designers hardly seem to consider  platform differences at all!

-----------> unable to view page 404 error

>2. Why are there differences between the two platforms when it comes to
>graphics?

Font size rendering and monitor gamma.

The easiest solution for the font size problem is to substitute px
(pixel) for pt (point) in your css files.
This leads to virtually identical rendering on both platforms, at
least with the modern browsers.
A size of 12px, for example, covers both sides very well.

Relative sizes also work reasonably well, since some Mac browsers -
like IE4+ - offer fonts size adjustment *on-the-fly* right in the
tool bar. As you can imagine, I use that one frequently, since PC
base sizes render about 30 percent smaller on the Mac and some PC
designed sites are just too hard for me to read.

The gamma problem (Mac = 1.8  vs  PC =2.5) stems from the fact that
PC monitors evolved from TVs while Macs were designed for graphics
right from the start. I make my graphics appear just a little *washed
out* on my Mac, which tends to be fine on the PC. A medium gamma of
2.2 seems to work well for both sides.
As a rule, it is probably less disturbing for a Mac viewer to
encounter some light graphics than for a PC viewer to have graphics
all blocked out  and contrasty - so, as long as they are correct to
your eyes, they'll probably still be acceptable on the Mac.

>3. Is there a utility out there that will allow me to simulate how my
>page will look on a MAC platform for testing purposes?

On the Mac, one can adjust the monitor's gamma settings to preview
the effects. On the PC you're basically stuck with the *factory
setting*. Also, I can use VirtualPC , which allows me to preview the
sites on actual PC browsers.
Several wysiwyg html editors - like GoLive from Adobe - offer a means
to make cross-platform comparisons. Not sure whether this feature  is
included with PC versions.

ciao!

eckhard behme